9/6/08

Today's finds

I got a few books today from the 50 cent rack on the sidewalk outside of a local bookstore. There were more I wanted to get, but I figured I have enough to keep me going for a while. I spotted an Ace Double and got excited for a moment, but was disappointed that it was a couple western novels instead of sci-fi ones. I was about to give it a shot, but there were too many other things that caught my eye.

Here's what I got:
  • Jandar of Callisto by Lin Carter (1972) - As I typed that name, I remembered it from that Conan book I didn't really like. There are some cool flying ships and futuristic buildings on the cover, though, so it shouldn't be as mundane as Conan was.
  • The Peace-Makers by Curtis W. Casewit (1968) - The cover says "A young scientist is the last barrier between a madman's weapon and the end of the world."
  • Microcosmic God edited by Sam Moskowitz (1965) - This is an anthology of "Modern Masterpieces of Science Fiction", but it's not so modern. I love the old stuff.
  • The Stars Are Too High by Agnew H. Bahnson, JR. (1959) - This is about a machine built for world domination. Awesome.
  • The Sun Grows Cold by Howard Berk (1971) - Mario Puzo called it, "The most chilling thriller since The Andromeda Strain". I haven't read The Andromeda Strain or The Godfather". I've seen the movie version the latter, and I liked it. I guess that really isn't helpful to me. The title reminds me of the movie Sunshine.
I still have other books I haven't read in my book pile, so I don't know when I'll read these. Some probably soon, others maybe later, but there will probably be forthcoming reviews of these.

No comments: